If you are a camper, these are a treat to pack for your campsite. Not a camper, these tasty treats will make you want to start a campfire. Graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows fill these tasty cookies with ooeey gooey ness too good to pass up.
Start by gathering the ingredients:
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 sheets of cinnamon graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup roughly chopped milk chocolate
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
Close your eyes and these cookies will take you back to the campfire. In this version of s’mores you won’t need to locate a stick, or loose your marshmallow to the ashes when it melts off your stick from the flames. No wrestling a flame for your treat is just bonus number one.
I adapted the recipe from Amanda at A Cookie Named Desire. She shared on her website that the trick to getting these cookies to turn out is keeping the dough cold without freezing it and sure enough, it worked perfectly. Mine didn’t store well – so either make them when you are hungry or plan to share!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the dry ingredients – whole wheat and all purpose flours, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Pound the graham crackers into small pieces. You don’t want crumbs, just small pieces. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Fold in the graham crackers and both types of chocolate.
- Take a golf ball size amount of the dough and create a small indentation and stuff 4 – 5- mini marshmallows into the indentation. Continue rolling the dough (like meatballs) until the marshmallows are completely covered.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes and chill.
- Uncover the cookies and bake for 8 – 9 minutes or until a light golden brown. While cookies are in the oven, place the next batch in the freezer to cool. Keeping the dough in the refrigerator the entire time.
- Remove the finished cookies from the over and immediately place on a wire rack to cool.
A Cookie Named Desire has great recipes with beautiful photography so be sure to check out the site. With cookies this amazing, I’ll be trying some other recipes soon.
I love following up on my Camping with Kids 101 post with s’mores cookies. There is nothing better than a great cookie recipe. Make these the day before your camping trip, pack them up and you literally have dessert in the bag!